Sunday, August 19, 2012

Seasons

Winter, Summer, Fall, Spring.  My favorite is coming up-Fall.  I love it: football, cooler weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving.  It is an awesome time to be a teacher too.  Beginning of the year, new kids, new school supplies (and I love school supplies)!

But the seasons that I am referring to are the seasons in our life.  What season are you in?  Are you a new mother or are you retired?  Do you have kids in college or did you just find out you were having a grandchild?  Maybe you are a new christian or newly divorced?  Seasons.  Whatever season you are in, God has planned that for you in this time, right now.  You know the saying: "Everything happens for a reason?"  Well really, "Everything happens because God designed it."  His plan, His season, for YOU.

I think about my "season" all the time.  Sometimes I think I am the only person in my season.  Like, am I the only one who has a four year old and works full time?  (NO!)  We are working all the time, paying the bills, relishing the short weekends and time together.  I find myself complaining-a lot.  And then I remember that God chose this season for me. 

It's a happy one.  I have a healthy, happy little boy who is extremely smart and funny.  My husband and I both have a wonderful relationship and we both have jobs.  We have a home and food on the table.  Nothing is perfect...but...
WHAT am I complaining about???

In my previous post, I talked a lot about this work-related anxiety disorder that I had.  When I chose my walk with God, my whole way of thinking changed.  When people started complaining at work-about the copier not working OR having to go to another meeting OR (the list goes on) all I could think about was-at least we have a copier, at least I am not sick and am able to go to the meeting, at least I have a job.  God has given me these things to APPRECIATE because He loves me.  And this isn't just work, its in my family life too.

I could complain there is nothing to watch on television...but at least I have a TV and money to pay for the service.
I could complain it is raining outside....or be happy that crops are growing so I can buy them at the store.
I could complain about doing laundry...but at least I have a family I can take care of AND I don't have to go to a laundry mat.
I could complain I am having a bad hair day...but at least I don't have to wear a wig because of cancer treatment.
I could complain of my "season" of being a mommy....how tired I am from working and then coming home, cleaning up, etc. etc.  But....look at the memories I can choose to make with my family.  Look at the lifetime of happiness that God has given me!

There are different seasons for everyone and different types of "seasoning." Think about the type of "seasoning' you can put on a steak or a breast of chicken.  It can make it taste better, right?  Well, maybe sometimes we need to add a little "seasoning" of our own to our life.  Kick it up a notch.  Start being thankful, more positive-and give God the glory that we are living to be in this SEASON right now!

What is your season?   
How can I help you give glory to God in the season you are in?

For everything there is a season, 
a time for every activity under heaven. 
A time to be born and a time to die.
A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to kill and a time to heal.
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
A time to search and a time to quit searching.
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear and a time to mend.
A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate.
A time for war and a time for peace.
What do people really get for all their hard work?
I have seen the burden God has placed on us all.
 Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.
So I concluded there is nothing better than to be happy and enjoy ourselves as long as we can. 
Ecclesiastes 3:1-12




No comments:

Post a Comment