Saturday, September 8, 2012

Go Ahead and Judge Me

It's hard not to judge someone.  I automatically judge someone when I meet them (first impression). I judge people when I see them at church (Wow that lady has 5 kids? She wore that?).  "People-watching" is my specialty.  The Bible says we shouldn't judge or criticize others.  I am still working on that.  So, why do we judge others?  Is it because we are looking for a reason to say, "I am better than this person"?  I don't know about you... but...I am still looking around for perfect people to look up to...and its hard for me not to judge or criticize others (especially those who say they are Christians) when they say one thing but do another.  I think this is what turns so many people off from having a relationship with God.  

When I first became a Christian I was still learning "how" to follow God.  I attended small groups to get to know people so I could see what their "perfect" life was like.  I got really confused because everyone I met seemed basically the same as me.  Not until just recently did I realize how human we really are...how imperfect we really are.  It took a lot of prayer, bible reading, and God's help to understand.  


If you want to have a relationship with God...looking at people is not going to help you.  Reading the word...that's what will do it.  Because people are broken.  No one is perfect.  Part of the reason I was so "cut off" from church for a long time had to do with disappointment from people in the church.  Things they've said, hurt they've caused.  How can you be a Christian if you are not perfect?  Well friends, I'll tell you...the difference between a Christian and someone who's not is a little bit of FAITH, a lot of forgiven imperfections, and believing the truth will set you free. Do I know everything there is to know about God?  Nope, still learning.  Do I sin? Yes, everyday.  

But God will judge me one day so I don't really need you to.  


I do, however, on a daily basis feel judged by people (friends, colleagues, even my husband-and believe me if anyone is going to hold you accountable for what you say and do its going to be a non-believing spouse)!  But I think they are still trying to figure me out.  They are trying to find someway to see me fail so they can find my imperfections.  That is OK with me.  I am not really the same person I once was.  (I once was lost, but now I'm found).  Since becoming a Christian, I am more worried about what God thinks of my words and actions.  I try my best to please Him.  And can I tell you how relieving it is to not worry about what other people think??? This has changed my life completely.  

At work I have these verses posted near my computer:

  • Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Colossians 3:23
  • Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before. Then people who are not Christians will respect the way you live, and you will not need to depend on others. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12  
  • And may the Lord our God show us his approval and make our efforts successful. Yes, make our efforts successful!  Psalm 90:17
I hope that God has transformed me into someone you can look up to.  I hope you feel comfortable enough to talk to me about your life.  I hope that I can help you see the changes God has made in me.  
My goal everyday is to say and do things that glorify God.  So that you may see some glimmer of hope that was not once there before.  To share with you what I know to be true and strive to be more Christ-like everyday!

People say "I don't want to go to church because people are fake.  They party on Friday and Saturday and say a prayer on Sunday and act like they are a Christian."  Well I say, come to church!  It's full of sinners...thank God!  That means no one is perfect...and we can be around people just like us.  What a perfect place to be!    


I want God to be my ultimate judge...go ahead and judge me God!  Make me realize my imperfections and help me to become more Christ-like in everything I say and do!  




Don’t speak evil against each other, dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God’s law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you.  God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to judge your neighbor?
James 4:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment