Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Overwhelmed but Overcame


So let's just say September is not my month!  We've had lots of meetings at school this month.  It just seems like one deadline after another.  I am so thankful for my job-but stressing over the little things.  And of course, big things always happen in the midst of little ones!  Last week I was what you call "done."  OVERWHELMED.  Luckily, the family and I had a great weekend.  We were in the Turkey Parade (all on floats) on Thursday and then Saturday we were up early for the Turkey Festival.  I love festivals-vendors, crafts, music-lots of fun!  Then we went to spend some time with friends who invited us over for dinner.  We also got to see Nemo in 3D, which was cute, and (gasp) I've never seen Nemo.  Then Monday hit and again...I'm thinking deadlines, meetings, lessons...even with my "planner" organization skills, I have been absolutely behind.  I know some of the new teachers have already thrown their hands up.  I mean, what can you do?  

This morning I got up for my usual breakfast and devotion.  I timed myself at 3 minutes to read and hopped on Facebook (bad habit).  At the beginning of school I was doing a really great job of getting up early to have plenty of time to eat, read, reflect, and pray.  I haven't been taking that time lately.  I have been sleeping in and "saving" my prayer for my quiet ride to work in the car-which isn't a very long commute.  And here lately that "quiet prayer time" turned into thinking about what I needed to do today and the emails I needed to make.  
Well, when my first student arrived in the classroom, she said "I brought you something."  She plopped down a copy of "Daily Bread" (a devotion book).  She said "I have 2 copies.  One for me and one for you."  I was thinking...I wonder if the parent (who is a Christian) sent this with her for me.  I wonder if she knows I am a Christian. 
You see, there is a fine line in public schools that is hard to cross.  It is hard for me not to profess my Faith and I really want to badly. I want to tell all my parents I am a Christian.  I want to share it with all my students.  But I can't. But God worked through this 5 year old little girl  and I realized something today: Could my "cheating" God out of our time together be the reason I am so overwhelmed?  Absolutely.  What have I done to myself?  I have been so focused on work, routines, family stuff, etc. that I left out the most important thing in my life-time with God.  I NEED that time with him-to reflect, praise, pray...I miss Him.  And most importantly, I am ashamed of my priorities at this point.  I am so thankful for a forgiving God.  Every time. And it took my little Kinder bringing me a devotion to realize this! 
And at the end of today, I was on my way to pick my son up and I heard a song on the radio. It is a song we sing at church but it held a new meaning today.  
The lyrics are: 

All authority, every victory is Yours

Savior, worthy of honor and glory, worthy of all our praise, You overcame
Jesus, awesome in power forever, awesome and great is Your name, You overcame


Power in hand speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out, light in this broken land

We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony, everyone overcome



Every VICTORY-give praise.  He is WORTHY of our praise-and OUR TIME.  

Reflecting on today, I am reminded that I have been sent to share my testimony (which is why I am writing these posts and sharing each and every little story-victories and all). I am also reminded that God loves me so much that he overcame (for me).  

With all the agendas, plans, and the craziness of life...
I was overwhelmed but I have overcame. Thank you, God!

My hope for today is that you take some time to reflect on how you can spend extra time with God...building your relationship with Him.  Before work?  During your lunch break?  After the kids are in bed?  It is not something to "check off your list" but something to be "permanently scheduled."


For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus. 
2 Timothy 1:9







No comments:

Post a Comment